Bushfire FAQs

What is Council doing about bushfire prevention?

We maintain fire trails, walking tracks and fire breaks; conduct hazard reduction burns; apply development controls and more.
Read more on what we’re doing about bushfire prevention

Can I suggest a hazard reduction burn?

Contact the NSW Rural Fire Service if you've spotted a bushfire hazard on private property. If you see a hazard on public property, report it directly to us or to the NSW RFS.

Can I have a fire break near my property?

We maintain 22km of fire breaks in high risk areas. No new fire breaks will be established at this time.

Can I clear bushland in a national park or on Council land?

You cannot clear on Council or NSW National Parks bushland. All maintenance must be undertaken within the boundaries of your property.

Can you help maintain my property?

We can’t pick up vegetation from private property, but any garden waste can be disposed of through your fortnightly greenwaste collection. We also offer a free mobile chipping service.

If you are a frail or elderly person, you can contact Easy Care Gardening for assistance with garden maintenance. 

A tree on my property is a fire hazard. Can I cut it down?

If you want to remove a tree on your property you can lodge an application for assessment. Read about trees or contact us to find out more.

What is a total fire ban?

During a total fire ban, you cannot light a fire in the open. Total fire bans are imposed on days of extreme fire danger. They’re issued on the afternoon before the day of the ban and come into effect from midnight, lasting 24 hours. Bans can be declared for particular districts or across the whole state.

Fire ban announcements can be found on the NSW Rural Fire Service and Bureau of Meteorology websites.

What are the rules during a total fire ban?

Find out what you can and can't do during a total fire ban on the NSW Rural Fire Service website.

Can I use my BBQ during a total fire ban?

During a total fire ban, you cannot light a fire in the open. This includes BBQs which burn solid fuel, such as wood or charcoal.

You can use a gas or electric BBQ if:

  • it is on a residential property within 20 metres of the house or dwelling
  • it is in a picnic area and the appliance is approved by a local council, National Park or State Forest
  • it is under the direct control of an adult
  • the ground within two metres of the BBQ is cleared of all materials which could burn
  • you have an immediate and continuous supply of water available

Penalties for disregarding a total fire ban include a maximum fine of $100,000 and 14 years imprisonment.

I've spotted a fire. What should I do?

If you’re concerned about smoke or bushfire phone 000.