The existing War Memorial at West Pymble War Memorial Community Hall, Bicentennial Park, Lofberg Road near Inverallen Avenue has been embellished with new works. The new improvements include accessible parking and link paths to the memorial, new lights, a new flagpole, seats, paving, planting and a new dedication plaque.
The Memorial commemorates the Centenary of the Battle of Lone Pine on 6-10 August 1915. The 9 plaques dedicated to the soldiers of Gallipoli who were awarded the Victoria Cross, that were removed from behind the West Pymble Pool in 2012. The existing War Memorial Stone, originally quarried on site at the Lofberg Quarry, has been retained as the centrepiece. The paving pattern reflects the Victoria Cross medal with brass lettering inset in the sun rising pavement. The lettering cites the poem “For the Fallen” by Robert Laurence Binyon (1869-1943).
Funding to assist the refurbishment of the memorial was received from The Department of Veterans’ Affairs Community War Memorials Fund and this work was supported by the Roseville RSL sub-branch.The memorial is dedicated to the memory of the men and women who served in the Australian Defence Forces during war and peace.
The memorial is listed on the Register of War Memorials in NSW.
For more information, contact Council’s Landscape Architect, David Forward on email@example.com or 9424 0807 during office hours.