In 2011, as part of its adopted Open Space Acquisition Strategy, Council purchased four residential properties in Gilroy Road Turramurra adjacent to Cameron Park. The properties were purchased to provide additional public open space using funds generated through the Ku-ring-gai Section 94 Development Contributions Plan 2010. Approximately 2,600sqm of land has been acquired, which has effectively doubled the size of Cameron Park providing over 5,500sqm of public parkland.
The park is located near Turramurra Station and the Rohini Street shopping strip, to serve local residents as well as those in nearby suburbs. Nearly 2000 households within a kilometre of Cameron Park were surveyed to establish what they thought the extended park should contain. A draft concept plan was exhibited for public comment and after incorporating stakeholder feedback, a final concept plan was adopted by Council in 2013.
View the Cameron Park Concept Plan (pdf. 2MB)
Cameron Park is now open!
Cameron Park was officially opened in February 2017 and is open for public use. The park provides open sunny grass areas, shade trees, gardens and a multipurpose paved area with an outdoor table tennis table and picnic facilities. Features include a new pathway system, seating, fencing, lighting and a self-cleaning accessible public toilet.
Cameron Park’s significant oak trees have been retained and the play space, sculpture and bicycle path have been renovated and upgraded to create a vibrant area for community recreation and leisure activities.
Project works that have been completed
- Excavation and earthworks to prepare new levels for the park
- Installation of new underground services including electrical, water, sewerage and storm water infrastructure
- Construction of new multipurpose paved area with BBQs, table tennis table, shade structure and park furniture with chess boards
- Construction of sandstone log seating walls
- Construction of a self-cleaning accessible toilet
- Installation of LED park lighting
- Construction of new accessible paths and cycle tracks within the park
- Upgrade of the existing playspace including installation additional play equipment and a sandstone frog sculpture
- Construction of a dry creek bed and bridge
- Installation of new park furniture including seating, bubbler, bike rack, bins, bollards, and signage
- Construction of a paved forecourt in front of the Lifestart building
- Construction of accessible parking and short stay parking
- Landscaping including new fencing, turf, gardens and trees
- 16 weeks establishment period prior to the park opening
For additional information
Contact: Lino Querin, Principal Landscape Architect
Phone: (02) 9424 0915
Fax: (02) 9424 0213
Visit: 818 Pacific Highway, Gordon