Supporting you to enjoy and protect our natural environment
The Environmental Levy has been in place since 2005 and is levied at 5% of Council's total rate revenue. It funds around $2.8 million worth of environmental programs and works every year, to ensure Ku-ring-gai’s unique bushland, waterways and urban environment are conserved and maintained. Under the current Environmental Levy the average residential ratepayer pays around $80 as part of their annual rates. The average business ratepayer pays around $65 as part of their annual rates.
The current Environmental Levy is due to expire in June 2019.
Council is considering applying to the NSW Independent Pricing and Review Tribunal (IPART) for the permanent continuation of the Environmental Levy at the amount currently paid by Ku-ring-gai ratepayers, which would commence from 1 July 2019.
Have your say
We are inviting all ratepayers to have a say on the future of the Environmental Levy.
In October 2018, Council will be seeking feedback on the continuation of the Levy and what programs and works should be funded, if it continues, through an online survey and discussion forum and a community workshop.
To be kept informed about these feedback opportunities register here
Come and have a chat at these locations throughout September/October.
Wildflower Garden Festival 26 Sep
Gordon Centre: 28 Aug, 8 Sep, 19 Sep
That Great Market, East Lindfield, Sun 16 Sep
Turramurra Fresh Produce And Gourmet Market, Wed 10 Oct
Turramurra Library (display only)
Gordon Library (display only)
Beeswax wraps will only be available at the above events.
Stocks are limited.
Environmental Levy works and programs
Read more about the key programs and projects being delivered.
Discover the work we are doing across our bushland and waterways through the Environmental Levy - click here to watch our Environmental Levy video.
Benefits of the Environmental Levy
Key programs and works enable us to:
- reuse water for irrigation
- protect our bushland, waterways and wildlife
- reduce our energy and water use
- reduce and recycle our waste
- boost sustainable transport
- provide recreation activities in natural areas
- ensure best practice environmental management
- foster environmental research
- help our local businesses and community to be more sustainable
The Environmental Levy has secured an additional $10 million in grants from other government agencies.
Read out Environmental Levy fact sheet (pdf. 3MB) for more detail on what we have achieved.
Why does Council want to make the Environmental Levy permanent?
The revenue Council receives from rates is not enough to cover the investment required to adequately manage these assets into the future. We need a permanent income source that funds an adequate level of environmental programs and works to secure the long term protection of our unique natural environment as our population grows and housing density increases; whilst continuing to support our community to live more sustainably.
Much has already been achieved by the Environmental Levy to date. A permanent Levy will:
- Secure the ongoing delivery and continuity of Council’s environmental programs and works at service levels that will effectively manage our bushland and waterways and the sustainability performance of our buildings and facilities, at the same time as maintaining all the other Council services
- Allow Council to undertake coordinated, long term planning for environmental programs and works, ensuring we maximise environmental outcomes at the lowest cost;
- Guarantee funding for the ongoing maintenance of important environmental infrastructure delivered through the current Environmental Levy; and
- Make it easier for Council to secure grant funding to further support its environmental programs and works (often grants require matched funding).
Current budget allocation
Find out more
An independent program assessment (pdf. 920KB) of the Levy processes and outcomes was completed for 2012-2015.
Annual Report 2016-17
Go to page 65 of Council’s Annual Report 2016-2017 below for an outline of the Levy program.
Annual Report 2016-2017 (pdf. 11MB)
Interactive version: Click the 'rectangle page' icon to view the interactive report in full screen. You can preview the pages of the report by clicking the arrow on the far right (to go to the next page) and then left (to go to previous page).
Contact the Environment & Sustainability Team on 9424 0893 or firstname.lastname@example.org