Frequently Asked Questions

How are the Flood Studies and Risk Management Study and Plans funded?

All of Council’s Major Flood Studies and reports receive funding assistance and technical support through the NSW Government’s Floodplain Management Program. The NSW Government normally offers assistance by providing $2 for every $1 provided by councils for approved projects.

Why does Ku-ring-gai Council need flood mapping?

Under the NSW Flood Prone Land Policy the management of flood prone land is primarily the responsibility of councils. Although Ku-ring-gai’s primarily ridge-top development means we do not have extensive floodplains there are key areas subject to mainstream and overland flow that need to be identified so that appropriate planning controls, emergency management plans and mitigation works can be identified. 

What parts of Ku-ring-gai Council have completed flood studies?

Currently only two catchments have completed flood studies:

Blackbutt Creek Catchment includes a number of watercourses and overland flow paths within the suburbs of Pymble, West Pymble, Gordon and Killara. The catchment is bounded by the Pacific Highway to the east and Fiddens Wharf Road to the south, and is traversed by Ryde Road, Pymble Avenue and Livingstone Avenue on its western boundary. A Flood Study and Flood Risk Management Study and Plan have been completed for this catchment.

Lovers Jump Creek Catchment includes Lovers Jump Creek and a number of tributaries in the suburbs of Turramurra, North Turramurra, Warrawee, Wahroonga and North Wahroonga. The catchment is approximately bounded by the Pacific Highway to the south, Bobbin Head Road to the east and Grosvenor Road to the west. Burns Road crosses east-west through the southern half of the catchment, while the North Shore Railway Line traverses the far southern portion of the catchment. Eastern Road passes north-south through the centre of the study area. A Flood Study has been completed for this area with a Flood Risk Management Study and Plan currently being completed (Due mid 2019).

Funding has just been received to undertake a Flood Study for Middle Harbour – Southern Catchments which will commence in 2019. This area includes Echo point Catchment, Moores Creek Catchment, Gordon Creek Catchment and Northern and Southern Creeks. These catchments cover the area between the Pacific Highway and Middle Harbour including the suburbs (or parts of) Roseville Chase, Roseville, Lindfield, East Lindfield, Killara and East Killara.

What is the Flood Study information used for?

Information gathered and modelled in the Flood Study is used to inform the Flood Risk Management Study and Plan and provide important background information for development, emergency management and council infrastructure upgrades.

Certain types development – even those undertaken under State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 need to consider flood risk.  Having flood mapping or the Flood Planning Area identified on your property does not mean you will be prevented from undertaking development, you may just need to carefully consider the location and type of development on your property or the floor level of certain structures.

What is the Flood Planning Area Mapping?

The Flood Planning Area incorporates the 1% AEP (1 in 100 year ARI) with the designated freeboard. In Ku-ring-gai the freeboard is usually set at 500mm for areas of mainstream flow and 300mm for overland flow. It usually represents the area of land where careful consideration of floor levels will need to be made. The Flood planning level mapping represents this information as a level (usually AHD) which indicates what the floor level will need to be above to ensure a structure is flood free.

What does flood mapping on my property mean?

Flood mapping on your property will have different impacts depending on what is present. Usually it will provide information to enable future developments and alterations to remain flood free. Sometimes it will limit where things can be built on your property or will provide a specific set of considerations which will need to be addressed. Please refer to part 24D.2 of Councils DCP - Flood Studies and the Design Flood Standard.

How does the flood mapping affect my home insurance policy?

Insurance companies use many different sources of information to assess risk. Much of the information they use is internally generated, however in some cases it appears they also consider Flood Studies and related plans.

Often important details, such as where a dwelling is on a property in comparison to mapped flood flows is overlooked. The flood studies and flood risk management studies and plans can provide important information for individual property owners to decide whether flood insurance is the right product for them, if they should change insurers or if they should provide more information to the insurance company to re-evaluate a quoted premium.

How can I access property specific flood information?

All completed flood studies are available at Complete Studies, Reports and Mapping.

If site specific details for including levels are required (Such as to aid the preparation plans) a flood certificate can be purchased.

Additional drainage information can also be purchased separately.

What do I do if I need information and a flood study has not yet been completed in my area?

Council is unlikely to have any specific information if a flood Study has not yet been completed in your area. If you are concerned as you property is near an easement or open watercourse often a specialist drainage engineer will need to be engaged to provide expert advice which is particularly important if you need information to prepare plans. If you are required to submit a flood study as part of your DA, please refer to part 24R.7 of Councils DCP – Flood study Requirements.