Animal problem

Dangerous dogs, barking dogs, roaming domestic animals are just some examples of animal problems that can cause concern for you or your neighbours.

Resolving the problem with a neighbour

If you believe that there is a nuisance dog, cat, rooster or other pet in your area, the first thing you should do is to try and talk with your neighbour. In many cases, your neighbour may not know that you are being disturbed and discussing the concern with them provides an opportunity to resolve the issue before it escalates.

If you can’t resolve the problem directly with your neighbour, contact us.

If your complaint is of a nature that Council can't assist with, the NSW Government's Community Justice Centres may be of help. These centres provide free, confidential mediation and conflict management.

Dangerous and barking dogs

Report a dangerous or barking dog online or contact us.

Pet animals

With the keeping of animals such as birds, chickens, rabbits and other pets there is the responsibility to ensure that your pet does not cause a nuisance to your neighbours. Nuisances can occur due to the number of animals being kept, how they are being contained or housed on the property and the conditions in which they are being kept.

Enclosures can be constructed for birds, chickens and other animals without the need for approval from Council provided that the structures meet certain height, size and location requirements. State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 details aviary, poultry and animal shelter construction requirements. 

State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008

Dead wildlife

To report dead wildlife on public land (such as roadkill), contact us and the animal will be removed as soon as possible.

Please provide as much detail as you can, including the location (nearest house address or nearest crossroad) and the type of animal you have found. To assist in the identification of the animal, please refer to our fact sheet (pdf. 333KB) to identify common native fauna species susceptible to roadkill in Ku-ring-gai.

If you come across an injured animal that requires rescue, please contact WIRES immediately on 1300 WIRES (1300 094 737) or Sydney Wildlife on 02 9413 4300.