Building and development


Construction hours extended

The NSW Government has granted extensions to construction hours so building sites can now operate on weekends and public holidays from 7am – 5pm. The new rules came into effect on 2 April and are aimed at supporting the building industry during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

NSW Planning and Public Spaces Minister Rob Stokes said the move allows workers to abide by social distancing rules while keeping construction projects progressing through spreading work across more days of the week. View the media release.

Information on preparing and tracking Development Applications, buying and selling property, town planning, heritage and more.

Extension of time to DA consent (s4.54 formerly known as S.95A)

As a result of recent legislative changes responding to COVID-19, any development consent that was operational as at 25 March 2020 has had its lapsing date extended by two years. Additionally, deferred commencement consents which had not yet become operational as at 25 March 2020 are subject to an extension of the time available to satisfy those terms (to make the consent operational and so prevent the development consent from lapsing) of an additional two years. There are other new provisions that apply to development consents granted after 25 March 2020.  View the relevant legislative changes

Please note the above information is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. You should seek specific legal advice if you believe a development consent on which you rely may be affected by these changes.


DA advertising

DA consents

View the latest DA consents.

Planning notifications

View online planning notifications.
Artist impression of a town centre in Ku-ring-gai

Town Planning documents

Town planning shapes our towns, suburbs and region by managing development, infrastructure and services.
Architecture plans

DA Tracking

Free service that offers fast and convenient access to information on development applications and their status.
Pile of policies

Planning documents

Our planning controls aim to preserve and enhance Ku-ring-gai's high quality built environment and landscape setting.

Building or renovating

Whether you're renovating a house, altering a shop or building a deck, you'll find all you need to know to get your building work approved.
Ku-ring-gai residential streetscape


Check your property's zoning to see what type of development is permitted on the property.
Sold sign on house

Buying and selling property

How to research history of works on a property, certificates you may need when buying or selling and information about drainage easements and sewer mains.
Someone holding a pen filling out a form

Forms and information packs

This section contains some of the forms and information packs you may need for your development.
Tulkiyan House in Gordon


Search for heritage items and other information about heritage.

Planning Proposals

To make changes to a Local Environmental Plan (LEP)
Greengate park

Development Contributions

Development contributions are payments or in-kind works provided by developers for facilities and services.

Planning Proposal Tracker

The Planning Proposal Tracker provides a summary of all current and historical Planning Proposals considered by Council.
David Spira St Ives Chase Woodbury Road Autumn in the suburbs.jpg

Bushfire prone land

Find out which properties are classified as bushfire prone.
combustible wall cladding

Combustible wall cladding

Council is implementing a program to identify those buildings in the local area containing wall cladding materials that are not compliant.

Dividing fences

Do you want to build a fence that divides properties? Find out all you need to know here.

Driveways and footpath/gutter crossings

Learn about and apply for the construction of a driveway access.
Open Space Acquisition Strategy

Open Space Acquisition Program

Find out how and why we identify and acquire open space in Ku-ring-gai.
tourist and visitor accommodation

Tourist and visitor accommodation

Find where and what type of accommodation is permitted.

Safety of awnings

Council is implementing a program to raise awareness of the need to monitor the safety of awnings over public land.

State government plans and strategies

Information about state government plans for the NSW planning system and strategies to accommodate future needs.

Infrastructure Damage Security Bond

Applies for all DA's determined or CDC Applications lodged with Certifying Authorities from 1 July 2016.

Road openings

Learn about and apply for a Road Opening Permit.
nature strip thumbnail

Private use of the road reserve / nature strip

Information and instructions on how to apply to complete works on nature strips.