What is complying development?
Complying development is a fast track approval process for straightforward commercial development. Providing your application meets specific development standards, approval (known as a Complying Development Certificate or CDC) can be granted in 20 days or less by Council or a private accredited certifier without the need for a full development application.
What types of work is complying development?
- Building alterations (internal and external)
- Change of use of premises (the property's zoning must permit your use)
- Driveways, hard stand spaces, pathways and paving
- Shop front and awning alterations
- Installation or alteration of a mechanical ventilation system
- Fire safety related installations and alterations (eg fire sprinkler system in a residential care facility)
- Strata subdivision of a building
- Skylights and roof windows
Is my work complying development?
- Check you property is eligible for complying development - a Section 10.7(2) Planning Certificate will tell you.
Alternatively, check Clauses 1.17A, 1.18 and 1.19 of the Codes SEPP to find out if complying development can be carried out on your property.
- View the development standards your proposal must meet:
Complying development - information sheets
Building Professionals Board
What land zone is my property? (eg Zone B2)
View the conditions of the last known development consent
Want to know what 'ancillary development' or 'gross floor area' is? Find out below.
Definitions List 1 (check first)
Definitions List 2
Our certifiers can identify whether your work is complying development or requires a development application. This can save you time, money and frustration.
Apply for a Pre Complying Development Consultation Service online
Information_Sheet_for_Pre_CDC_Consultation_Service.pdf (pdf. 245KB)
How do I apply for a CDC with Council?
Why choose Council as your PCA?
The Guide to the Building Approvals Process will help you identify the next steps involved once a CDC has been issued for your development.