Development application

All DAs are now paperless

Council will no longer require hard copies of documentation for any development applications (DAs), modification applications or review of determination accplications as long as all the information is included on a CD / USB, in accordance with Council’s DA Guide.

Estimation of the costs of works

To ensure greater consistency and reduce disputes about fees for development applications the following will apply:

  • For development costs up to $100,000, the table included in the DA form must be used to estimate the cost of works.
  • For development costs between $100,000 and $1 million, two quotes from an independent qualified builder, architect, building designer or quantity surveyor are required to justify the estimated cost of works.
  • For development costs exceeding $1 million, a quantity surveyor’s cost report is required and for large scale developments ($10 million and over), the estimated cost and the capital investment value will be required.

Compliance levy

All new Development Applications (DAs) will be subject to a compliance levy. With the increase in population and development in Ku-ring-gai, there are greater demands on Council to ensure compliance with legislation. There is also an expectation in the community that Council officers are available to take effective action.

Guide to preparing and lodging a DA

I want to modify my DA consent (Section 4.55)

If your development proposal is not classified as exempt or complying development, you may need to lodge a development application (DA) with Council to get development consent.

Below is our 5-step guide to preparing and lodging a DA. The step-by-step guide should be read in conjunction with our DA Guide (pdf. 12MB) and DA assessment fact sheet.DA assessment fact sheet. (pdf. 167KB)

Step 1 - Does your development comply?

  • Is your development permissible? Check the property's zoning
  • Design your development to comply with our planning controls (eg LEP and DCP)?
  • Does your development comply with all relevant NSW Government SEPPs

Step 2 - Prepare plans and documents

Step 3 - Consult your neighbours

  • Discuss your development proposal with your neighbours prior to lodging your DA. Early consultation can often alleviate their concerns about what you are proposing to do. Your neighbours may also identify issues with your development proposal that you may not be aware of (eg privacy, overshadowing).
  • If you are living in a strata building, check whether you need body corporate approval for your development before preparing a DA as their consent is required on the DA form at the time of lodgement.  

Step 4 - Apply for a pre-DA consultation (optional)

Pre-DA consultation service

Please note: Due to its popularity, the current processing time for a Pre-DA Consultation, from lodgement to meeting date, is approximately 4-8 weeks. This is to ensure we continue to offer quality of service and advice.  

Learn more about applying for a pre-DA consultation

Step 5 - Lodge your DA with Council

  • Contact our Customer Service staff on (02) 9424 0000 to receive a fee quote for lodging your DA.
  • You can lodge your DA using the following methods:
  • In person at Council Chambers, 818 Pacific Highway, Gordon, between 8.30am - 4.15pm, Monday to Friday
  • By post to Ku-ring-gai Council, Locked Bag 1006, Gordon 2072. Payment must be included – only cheque or credit card accepted.
  • Make your cheque payable to Ku-ring-gai Council, cross ‘Not Negotiable’ and post to: Locked Bag 1006, Gordon NSW 2072

           Credit Card Payment Form  (pdf. 118KB)

The DA assessment process

Read our DA assessment fact sheet (pdf. 695KB) for information about the DA assessment process, including the notification of DAs to surrounding property owners and advice for residents who want to make comments about a DA to Council (known as a 'submission').

Further information about making a submission

Post DA consent

  • When Council has made a decision on an application, a Notice of Determination is sent to the applicant. Where an application is approved, the Notice will include conditions of consent and the date of the consent. Where an application is refused, the Notice will include the reasons for refusal.

  • Read the Guide to the Building Approvals Process to identify the next steps involved or if you require further approvals.

  • You will need a Construction Certificate to be issued by Council or a private accredited certifier if your approved DA involves building works.

  • Relevant council forms:

            Application for a Construction Certificate form

            Principal Certifying Authority Service Agreement form

            Notice of Commencement of Building, Subdivision or Demolition Work (pdf. 577KB)

            Application for an Occupation Certificate form

Making changes to a DA consent - Sections 4.55 and 4.56 (previously known as Section 96)

If you need to make changes to a DA after Council has given development consent there are several ways to do this. Each way depends on what sort of changes you want to make, and how they will affect the DA that was originally approved.

  • To correct a minor error, an incorrect description or miscalculation, a section 4.55(1) application is required.
  • For minimal environmental impact changes, a section 4.55(1A) application is required.
  • To modify the consent in other ways, due to design changes for example, evidence needs to be provided that the development will be substantially the same, with a section 4.55(2) application.
  • To modify a consent handed down by the Land and Environment Court, a section 4.56(1) (previously known as Section 96AA(1)) application is required.

Our Application to Modify a Development Consent form (pdf. 601KB)  can be used for all of the above scenarios provided the correct section is clearly marked with appropriate details.

Sections 4.55 and 4.56 applications also need consent from all of the registered property owners for the changes to be considered. If a company owns the property, the company stamp or seal is required. If the building is subject to a strata scheme, the owners' corporation seal and authorised signatures are required.

Further requirements

A section 4.55 or 4.56 application needs to include:

  • the completed form
  • fee payment
  • supporting documentation (eg. plans, Statement of Environmental Effects etc - check the DA Guide (pdf. 12MB))
  • electronic copies of all documents (refer to Appendix 1 of the DA Guide (pdf. 12MB))

Plans must be drawn to scale, normally at 1:100, minimum A3 size and suitably numbered and dated (refer to Appendix 1 of the DA Guide (pdf. 12MB) for full specifications). Some applications may require an updated BASIX certificate or bush fire risk assessment report/certification - check with your building designer.