Building and development


Information on preparing and tracking Development Applications, buying and selling property, town planning, heritage and more.


Building or renovating

Whether you're renovating a house, altering a shop or building a deck, you'll find all you need to know to get your building work approved.
bush fire prone land

Bush fire prone land

Find out about extra steps in the development process for bush fire prone land.
Sold sign on house

Buying and selling property

How to research history of works on a property, certificates you may need when buying or selling and information about drainage easements and sewer mains.
Architecture plans

DA Tracking

Free service that offers fast and convenient access to information on development applications and their status.
Greengate park

Development Contributions

Development contributions are payments or in-kind works provided by developers for facilities and services.

Dividing fences

Do you want to build a fence that divides properties? Find out all you need to know here.

Driveways and footpath/gutter crossings

Learn about and apply for the construction of a driveway access.
Someone holding a pen filling out a form

Forms and information packs

This section contains some of the forms and information packs you may need for your development.

Heritage Conservation Areas

Additional development controls apply to development in heritage conservation areas to protect their special character.

Heritage home grants 2018

Council is offering heritage grants of up to $5,000 to owners of local heritage properties for the 2018-2019 financial year.
Tulkiyan House in Gordon

Heritage Items

Search for heritage items and other information about heritage.
Open Space Acquisition Strategy

Open Space Acquisition Strategy

Find out how and why we identify and acquire open space in Ku-ring-gai.
Pile of policies

Planning controls

Our planning controls aim to preserve and enhance Ku-ring-gai's high quality built environment and landscape setting.

Planning Proposals

To make changes to a LEP or the Ku-ring-gai Planning Scheme Ordinance, a planning proposal must first be submitted to Council.

Safety of awnings

Council is implementing a program to raise awareness of the need to monitor the safety of awnings over public land.

State government plans and strategies

Information about state government plans for the NSW planning system and strategies to accommodate future needs.
tourist and visitor accommodation

Tourist and visitor accommodation

Find where and what type of accommodation is permitted.
Artist impression of a town centre in Ku-ring-gai

Town Planning documents

Town planning shapes our towns, suburbs and region by managing development, infrastructure and services.
Ku-ring-gai residential streetscape


Check your property's zoning to see what type of development is permitted on the property.

Infrastructure Damage Security Bond

Applies for all DA's determined or CDC Applications lodged with Certifying Authorities from 1 July 2016.