Complying development

What is complying development?

Complying development is a fast track approval process for straightforward residential development. Providing your application meets specific development standards, approval (known as a Complying Development Certificate or CDC) can be granted in 20 days or less by Council or a private accredited certifier without the need for a full development application.

What types of work is complying development?

  • A new single or two storey house
  • Internal and external alterations and additions to a house
  • Internal and minor external alterations to residential accommodation other than a house (eg apartment) 
  • Carports, garages, driveways and hard stand spaces
  • Decks, verandahs and pergolas
  • Demolition (eg demolish existing house)
  • Retaining walls
  • Granny flats
  • Solar panels - general requirements and specific standards ('solar energy systems')
  • Swimming pools
  • Water tanks, water heaters and septic tanks

Is my work complying development?

To find out if your building project is complying development visit the Electronic Housing Code website. Within minutes you can:

  • identify whether your property is eligible for complying development
  • read the criteria that determines whether your development proposal is considered complying development

Use the Electronic Housing Code

Useful resources

Complying development - information sheets

Building Professionals Board

Don't know what 'ancillary development' means? Find out below.

Definitions List 1 (check first)

Definitions List 2

Pre-CDC Consultation

Our certifiers can identify whether your work is complying development or requires a development application. This can save you time, money and frustration.

Apply for a Pre-Complying Development Consultation application online

Information_Sheet_for_Pre_CDC_Consultation_Service  (pdf. 141KB)

How do I apply for a CDC with Council?

There are two ways you can apply:

Why choose Council as your PCA?

Post approval

The Guide to the Building Approvals Process will help you identify the next steps involved once a CDC has been issued for your development.

Granny flats

Your granny flat ('secondary dwelling') may be eligible for a CDC provided it meets the criteria for secondary dwellings in State Environmental Planning Policy (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009 ('SEPP 2009').

A CDC can only be issued for a secondary dwelling on land zoned R1, R2, R3, R4 or R5. For properties located in a Deferred Area, SEPP 2009 recognises your property's zoning as the zoning identified in Draft Ku-ring-gai Local Environmental Plan 2013.

If your secondary dwelling is not classified as complying development, it will require approval via a development application.

More information about granny flats as complying development


Deferred Area

Draft Ku-ring-gai Local Environmental Plan 2013

Development application