Why choose Council as your PCA?

Our accredited certifiers:

  • have a wide range of knowledge and skills who have been involved in building certification for a number of years;
  • hold accreditation from the Building Professionals Board, the same body who accredit private certifiers;
  • can provide you with an efficient and comprehensive service because we are located close to where you live and only deal with applications within Ku-ring gai;
  • have first hand knowledge of the local area;
  • access to extensive information about properties in Ku-ring-gai; and
  • work closely with a diverse range of staff (planning, landscaping, food health and engineering), should additional professional assistance be required.

Nominate Council as your Principal Certifying Authority (PCA)

To nominate Council as your PCA, please complete our PCA Service Agreement form.

PCA Service Agreement form (pdf. 155KB)

Nominate Council as your replacement PCA

To nominate Council as a replacement PCA (ie change from your existing accredited certifier to a council accredited certifier), please complete our Notice to Appoint a Replacement PCA form.

Notice to Appoint a Replacement PCA form (pdf. 153KB)

What is certification?

Most building and subdivision in NSW involves certification, whether it is the assessment of detailed construction plans for a high rise residential building, house plans assessed as complying development or inspections undertaken during the construction phase.

Who can certify my building works?

Certificates are approvals provided from either a council or an accredited certifier to confirm that proposed and completed development complies with relevant planning controls and national building standards.

The group of professionals who deliver this certification are accredited by the Building Professionals Board. It is up to the person who is building or developing to decide whether to use their council or an accredited certifier to issue a certificate.

What laws are certificates issued under?

Certificates are issued under the:

The role of an accredited certifier

Either council or a private accredited certifier can:

  • issue a complying development certificate
  • issue a construction certificate
  • issue a compliance certificate
  • issue a strata certificate
  • inspect building works during construction
  • act as a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA), responsible for issuing occupation certificates for building work and subdivision certificates for subdivision work (Usually only a council can act as PCA for subdivision work and issue subdivision certificates (unless the local planning instrument says otherwise)).