Buying a Heritage item?

Need to find out if a property you want to buy is heritage listed? Refer to Heritage listings, or alternatively apply for a 10.7 Planning Certificate.

If you are thinking about buying a heritage listed property and doing alterations and additions, consider the information below as well as Design Guidelines.

If you have further questions contact Council's Heritage Advisor on 9424 0794.

Does Heritage stop me making changes to my property?

No. Listing by a Local Environmental Plan (LEP) as a heritage item does not prevent change. It is a way of ensuring that changes respect and retain those qualities and characteristics which make a heritage place special.

Council approval will be required for any proposed development as described under Clause 5.10 of the LEP.  Council acknowledges that properties need to be adapted to suit modern living, for example new kitchens or bathrooms. Applications for development must consider the impact on the individual item and/or the Heritage Conservation Area (HCA). Council may require a Heritage Impact Statement with your development application. 

If work is considered minor by Council, such as heritage maintenance, the need for development consent may not be required but written consent from Council likely is. Refer to the minor works application form and guidelines.

Some other minor and small-scale heritage development does not require development assessment by Council. This type of development is covered by the exempt development standards in State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

If you’re considering doing work to your property, we recommend you apply for a pre-DA consultation or discuss your proposal with our Heritage Advisor - contact us to make an appointment.

Does maintenance work require council approval?

Most building maintenance does not require approval. This includes:

  • replacement of rotted timber
  • repainting
  • replacing fences
  • garden maintenance
  • replacement of building services including plumbing, wiring and gas fittings
  • patching masonry walls etc  
  • replacing roof tiles

Minor works

Some minor works (see Exempt Development) do not require approval but may be limited in size or location such as:

  • air conditioners (not window units)
  • barbecues
  • bird aviaries
  • clothes lines
  • cubby houses
  • satellite dishes

Some minor works that change the appearance of an item or alters its aesthetic value may require approval such as:

  • painting face brickwork
  • rendering and painting face brickwork
  • adding hoods or external blinds to windows or doors
  • altering a window opening to a doorway