To meet the needs of a growing population, Ku-ring-gai Council has developed an innovative award-winning Open Space Acquisition Strategy* to provide much needed parkland for the community. Together with another award-winning program Activate Ku-ring-gai**, Council will deliver 10 new local parks and civic spaces of over 30,000m2 within close proximity to high density residential areas in Ku-ring-gai.
The Open Space Acquisition Strategy establishes principles and priorities for acquiring open space in Ku-ring-gai. The strategy objectives are based on the following steps:
- Determining priority areas
- Assessment of walking catchments
- Identification of potential park locations & access analysis
- Detailed assessment of preferred locations
- Council endorsement and modifications to LEP or DCP zoning
The Ku-ring-gai Contributions Plan provides funding for land acquisition and design of new parks and civic spaces.
Ku-ring-gai parklands delivered through the Open Space Acquisition Strategy so far include:
- Allan Avenue Reserve, Turramurra - 2700m2 acquired for open space
- Cameron Park, Turramurra - a 5,500m2 urban park opened in March 2017
- Greengate Park, Killara - awarded the 2014 NSW Open Space Design and Management Award by Parks and Leisure Australia.
- Balcombe Park, Wahroonga - opened in late 2012
Activate Ku-ring-gai aims to create vibrant economic, cultural and social hubs that will promote social interaction and create a sense of community among residents. The projects will revitalise and transform the local centres of Gordon, Lindfield, Pymble, Roseville, St Ives and Turramurra, and deliver new pedestrian plazas, urban parks and gardens. For more information current projects use the links below:
* Planning Institute of Australia (NSW) Awards for Planning Excellence 2014
Parks and Leisure Association NSW 2014 – Award for Open Space Planning
Australian Institue of Landscape Architects NSW 2013 – Excellence Award for Landscape Architecture
** Greater Sydney Planning Commission 2017 – Commendation Award
The Open Space Acquisition Strategy establishes principles and priorities for acquiring open space in Ku-ring-gai.
Open Space Acquisition Strategy - Part 1 (pdf. 183KB)
Open Space Acquisition Strategy - Part 3 (pdf. 2MB)
Open Space Acquisition Strategy - Part 4 (pdf. 56KB)
Open Space Acquisition Strategy - Part 5 (pdf. 4MB)