Animal problem

Dangerous dogs, barking dogs, roaming domestic animals are just some examples of animal problems that can cause concern for you or your neighbours.

Resolving the problem with a neighbour

If you believe that there is a nuisance dog, cat, rooster or other pet in your area, the first thing you should do is to try and talk with your neighbour. In many cases, your neighbour may not know that you are being disturbed and discussing the concern with them provides an opportunity to resolve the issue before it escalates.

If you can’t resolve the problem directly with your neighbour, contact us.

If your complaint is of a nature that Council can't assist with, the NSW Government's Community Justice Centres may be of help. These centres provide free, confidential mediation and conflict management.

Dangerous and barking dogs

Report a dangerous or barking dog online or contact us.

Pet animals

With the keeping of animals such as birds, chickens, rabbits and other pets there is the responsibility to ensure that your pet does not cause a nuisance to your neighbours. Nuisances can occur due to the number of animals being kept, how they are being contained or housed on the property and the conditions in which they are being kept.

Enclosures can be constructed for birds, chickens and other animals without the need for approval from Council provided that the structures meet certain height, size and location requirements. State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 details aviary, poultry and animal shelter construction requirements. 

State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008

Dead or injured wildlife

To report dead wildlife on public land (such as roadkill), contact us and the animal will be removed as soon as possible.

Please provide as much detail as you can, including the location (nearest house address or nearest crossroad) and the type of animal you have found. To assist in the identification of the animal, please refer to our fact sheet (pdf. 333KB) to identify common native fauna species susceptible to roadkill in Ku-ring-gai.

If you find a sick, injured, or orphaned native animal, please contact WIRES immediately on 13 000 WIRES (1300 094 737) or Sydney Wildlife on 02 9413 4300. Improper rescue can hurt or distress the animal and the rescuer. It is critical to get sick and injured wildlife vet treatment as quickly as possible.

When calling in a rescue, report the exact location

When reporting rescues to WIRES and vets, please try to confirm the EXACT location you found the animal. This is because many native animals are very territorial, so it's critical that, when they are ready for release, we return them "home" to ensure their best chance of survival.

In addition, if we know the exact location the animal was found, many young animals have a better chance of possibly being reunited with their parents.  

Certain animals should NOT be approached  

If you encounter a sick, injured, or orphaned animal on the list below, call a wildlife rescue organisation straight away. These animals require specialist handling and MUST be rescued by trained wildlife rescuers:

  • Snakes.
  • Monitor lizards (goannas).
  • Bats (flying-foxes or microbats).
  • Large macropods (kangaroos or wallabies).
  • Raptors (eagles, falcons or hawks).

What to do while you wait  

After calling a wildlife rescue organisation you can:

Remove any threat to the animal

This includes keeping all people and pets away from the native animal, to minimise stress to the animal for vet transport or until a rescuer arrives.

If it is safe to do so, contain the animal in a warm, dark, quiet place

For example, gently wrap the animal in a towel and place it in a ventilated box with a lid, cover the box or container with a towel, and transport it carefully to the nearest vet or wait for the rescuer to arrive. Handle the animal as little as possible to minimise stress. 

Do not give the animal any food or water, unless instructed to by a vet or WIRES.

Further information

For more detailed information, please see the WIRES Emergency advice page or the Wildlife Road Awareness page.

Download the WIRES Driver brochure.