Caring for a dog is a big responsibility.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Give your dog regular flea and worm treatments, health checks and vaccinations
- Teach your dog basic obedience such as 'come', 'sit', 'stay' and 'heel'
- Microchip and register your dog
- Sterilise your dog if it won't be used for breeding
- Make sure your yard is safe and large enough for your dog
- Make sure your fencing is secure so your dog cannot stray
- Exercise your dog regularly (check out our off-leash dog parks)
- Pick up after your dog in public places
- Teach your children how to behave around dogs
- Feed your dog a balanced and varied diet
- Provide plenty of fresh water at all times
- If you’re thinking of buying a dog, you might like to consider adopting one from the RSPCA or Pet Rescue
- Never buy a dog as a gift unless you have discussed it at length with the person beforehand - it's a big commitment
Dog training - get your naughty pooch trained at Northern Suburbs or Metropolitan Mid-Week dog training clubs and they will be presented a Ku-ring-gai K9 Award by the Mayor! See our Dog Training Flyer (pdf. 617KB).
For more information on responsible dog ownership, please see our Are you a Responsible Dog Owner Flyer (pdf. 641KB).