Companion animal frequently asked questions

How many animals can you have on residential premises?

There is no specific limit on the number of animals that can be kept on residential premises provided. Each case is taken on its individual merit. Council considers such things as:

  • Have there been any complaints from neighbours.
  • Is the number and size of animals considered to be reasonable for the area in which they are kept.
  • Are they well looked after.
  • Are the animals microchipped and registered.
  • Do the animals receive adequate veterinary treatment when needed.
  • Is there any offensive noise and/or odour or complaints regarding the condition of the property.

Are cats required by law to be kept indoors at night?

The Companion Animals Act 1998 does not specify that cats are to be kept indoors at night. However, to protect your cat and the local wildlife it is recommended that cats be kept indoors at night or in a specific cat enclosure.

Where can I find information on desexing programs or adopting a pet?

There are a number of dogs allowed to roam loose in my street. What can I do about it?

If you know where the dogs are usually kept you could try speaking to the owners of the dogs.

Council has a fact sheet which outlines the responsibilities of owners which you may like to drop in your neighbour’s letterbox.

Call Council during business hours (Monday to Friday, 8.30am-5pm) on 9424 0000. You will need to provide your name and contact details as the complainant, along with details of where the dog lives so that Council’s Officer can follow up your complaint.

I have found a stray dog. What should I do?

Call Council during business hours (Monday to Friday, 8.30am-5pm and Saturday and Sunday 8am – 4pm) on 9424 0000. We will organise for one of our rangers to collect the dog. They will scan for identification and, if possible, notify the owners.  You will need to leave your contact details and the location of the dog.

It is against the law for you to keep the dog without advising Council.  If the dog and owner cannot be identified or the owner cannot be contacted or the dog cannot be resecured on its property, it will be delivered to Council’s Pound.

Outside our business hours, you may contact a local veterinarian to check if they will accept the dog.

A dog attacked me (or my dog, cat, etc.) in a public place. What should I do?

You should contact Council as soon as possible with details of when and where the attack took place.

One of our Officers will then follow up the complaint with the owner of the dog. You will be requested to complete a Statutory Declaration regarding the nature of the attack and be able to positively identify the dog involved. Please note, Council cannot seek compensation for you in respect of any damages and/or injury, you will need to take your own action.

My neighbour’s cat is always killing native wildlife. What can I do about it?

First, try speaking to your neighbour, voicing your concerns about their cat’s behaviour, and maybe suggesting that they keep their cat indoors at night.

If the cat is coming on to your property and killing wildlife or causing damage, you may like to use some of the garden deterrents that are available through hardware and garden stores.

Under the NSW Companion Animals Act 1998 a cat is allowed to ‘roam’ and leave its own property. However under Section 32 of the Act, actions can be taken to protect persons and animals against a nuisance cats. ‘A cat can be lawfully seized if that is reasonable and necessary to protect any person or animal from injury or death.’

To seize the cat you may hire a trap to catch the cat and then either return the cat to the owner (if known), or deliver it to a pound. We cannot provide traps but they can be hired from local hire companies.

If you have a complaint regarding a nuisance cat of a known address contact council during business hours (Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 5pm) on 9424 0000.