Caring for a dog is a big responsibility.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Give your dog regular flea and worm treatments, health checks and vaccinations.
- Teach your dog basic obedience such as 'come', 'sit' and 'stay'.
- Microchip and register your dog.
- Desex your dog if it won't be used for breeding.
- Make sure your yard is safe and large enough for your dog.
- Make sure your fencing is secure so your dog cannot stray.
- Exercise your dog regularly (check out our off-leash dog parks).
- Pick up after your dog in public places.
- Teach your children how to behave around dogs.
- Feed your dog a balanced and varied diet.
- Provide plenty of fresh water at all times.
- If you’re thinking of buying a dog, you might like to consider adopting one from the RSPCA or Pet Rescue.
- Never buy a dog as a gift unless you have discussed it at length with the person beforehand - it's a big commitment.
Dog training - contact our local community dog training groups for assistance Northern Suburbs or Metropolitan Mid-Week dog training clubs.
View some simple tips that will help keep your family and the community safe (pdf. 1MB).
For more information on responsible dog ownership, please see our Are you a Responsible Dog Owner Flyer (pdf. 641KB).