Junior Rangers Club is our fantastic after-school weekly activity for primary kids who love nature! Join our experienced rangers for active, hands-on sessions where you’ll learn all about the Wildflower Garden’s plants and animals, and pick up all sorts of essential skills for being a ranger.
Junior Rangers Club runs weekly on Thursdays 4pm - 5.30pm at the Ku-ring-gai Wildflower Garden.
Bookings are now open for Term 2, 2019.
$135 per child for the eleven-week term. Click here to book online.
A limited number of casual places are available each week, $13.50 per child. Please call the Visitor Centre on 9424 0353 to book in.
Fungi come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. We’ll be getting to know these strange and beautiful organisms and meeting a creature that eats them for dinner!
Herbs and Remedies
The bush and garden are full of plants with special properties. We’ll learn about ancient remedies, taste some delicious native tea, and make some lovely fragrant gifts for Mother’s Day.
Can you tie a clove hitch or bowline? We’ll be brushing up on our outdoor skills with compass work, navigation and knots.
Today is turtle day! We’ll be hanging out with the long-necked kind, and learning how humans can look after these little friends.
Honey from the Flowers
Many creatures are nectar-feeders and all have an important role in their ecosystems. We’ll get to know some of them, and maybe feed on some nectar ourselves!
World Environment Day
This year’s World Environment Day theme is “Beat Plastic Pollution”. We’ll be finding ways of reducing our plastic waste, and upcycling some plastic into a funky item to take home.
Creatures of the Dusk
We’ll venture deep into the bush to seek nocturnal creatures emerging in the dusk. If it’s a clear night, we’ll be hoping for a look at the full moon through our telescope. Please bring a small torch.
Naturalists like to make collections of interesting things from nature. This week we’ll be learning how to preserve and mount insect specimens.
Water Bug Survey
We’ll get out the dipnets and take a look at the kinds of creatures living beneath the surface of our ponds.
We’ll celebrate the end of term with a campfire and cook ourselves a fabulous feast to share! Please advise of any dietary requirements.
- Junior Rangers Club is open to school-aged children from Kindergarten to Year 6. All participants must be within the age range for this activity.
- Bookings are essential for all sessions. Walk-up bookings are at the discretion of the ranger. If the session is full, no walk-up bookings will be accepted.
- Adults are welcome to accompany their children but this is not essential.
- Please collect your child(ren) promptly at the end of the activity. Rangers cannot be responsible for supervising children after the activity has finished.
- We do not refund if you decide to cancel your booking. Refunds will only apply if the Wildflower Garden needs to cancel the activity.
- Activities will go ahead in wet weather, so please dress appropriately. If extreme weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances force the cancellation of the activity, participants will be notified by the ranger and a refund given (pro rated for full term bookings).
- We reserve the right to change the content of the weekly program to accommodate changes as necessary.
- All activities at the Wildflower Garden have been risk assessed.
For more information on any of our programs, please contact the Visitor Centre on 9424 0353.