Helping you to stay in your own home

New policies regarding home support services and how to access them have been causing some confusion. To improve understanding among older people and their carers, Council organised an information seminar with Jenny Bray, a knowledgeable community support consultant, outlining the choice of services offered to older people and the process to be followed in order to receive these services.

Staying in your own home seminar

Jenny has made available her presentation on ‘Staying in your own home’ and the ‘Capacity Toolkit’ documents in the links below.

Staying in your own home (pdf. 997KB) presentation

Capacity Toolkit (pdf. 2MB)

Capacity Toolkit fact sheet (pdf. 481KB)

On-line Capacity Toolkit with Translated Capacity Factsheets link in right hand column

Services available in Ku-ring-gai

To access a subsidised home care service, you will need to contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit their website and choose your local service.  There are a number of organisations that provide home support in Ku-ring-gai.

Ku-ring-gai Neighbourhood Centre

  • provides volunteer drivers to take you to appointments and shopping
  • provides volunteers who will drop in regularly for a friendly chat

Lifeline Community Aid

  • provides volunteer drivers to take you to appointments and shopping during weekday work hours

Meals on Wheels - Ku-ring-gai and Hornsby

  • delivers a lunchtime meal on the days that you choose

Easy Care Gardening

  • provides teams of volunteer gardeners to help maintain your garden

You could contact the services directly if you have any queries or need help with the application process.  However, subsidised services can only be accessed by contacting My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or through their website.