New policies regarding home support services and how to access them have been causing some confusion.
To improve understanding among older people and their carers, Council organised an information seminar with Jenny Bray, a knowledgeable community support consultant, outlining the choice of services offered to older people and the process to be followed in order to receive these services.
Staying in your own home seminar
Jenny has made available her presentation on ‘Staying in your own home’ and the ‘Capacity Toolkit’ documents in the links below:
Staying in your own home (pdf. 997KB) presentation
Capacity Toolkit (pdf. 2MB)
Capacity Toolkit fact sheet (pdf. 481KB)
Online Capacity Toolkit with Translated Capacity Factsheets link in right hand column
Services available in Ku-ring-gai
To access a subsidised home care service, you will need to call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit the My Aged Care website and choose your local service.
There are a number of organisations that provide home support in Ku-ring-gai.
- provides volunteer drivers to take you to appointments and shopping;
- provides shopping bus services to St Ives and Galston and shopping assistance fortnightly;
- provides home visits and friendly phone calls to help maintain social contact;
- provides outings, theatre groups and activities.
- provides volunteer drivers to take you to medical appointments, social visits and shopping during weekday work hours;
- provides friendly home visits to isolated older people;
- provides 'keeping in contact' phone calls.
- delivers a lunchtime meal on the days that you choose;
- provides regular contact and companionship.
- provides teams of volunteer gardeners to help maintain your garden.
- provides group social outings to fun, interesting places around Sydney on a small bus;
- provides transport for individuals to medical appointments;
- provides regular shuttle bus to town centres for shopping, hair dresser, lunch with a friend, whatever you choose;
- provides individual transport to social activities within Ku-ring-gai and Hornsby Council areas;
- NB - even if you have not registered with My Aged Care, you may be able to use the service for a fee.
You can contact the services directly if you have any queries or need help with the application process, however subsidised services can only be accessed by calling My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or through the My Aged Care website.