The Rural Fire Service (RFS) has announced that a catastrophic fire danger was forecast for the Greater Sydney and Greater Hunter areas on Saturday 21 December due to the worsening weather conditions.
Catastrophic is the highest level of bush fire danger. Homes are not designed to withstand a fire under these conditions and lives will be at risk.
Updated 11am Monday 23 December
Bobbin Head Road and Ku-ring-gai Chase Road has reopened after it was closed on Saturday 21 December at the national park gates due to the fire danger.
The Ku-ring-gai Wildflower Garden and all bushland areas including walking tracks and fire trails have now reopened.
Advice from RFS for residents of high risk areas on days of Catastrophic Fire Danger Rating
- Activate your bushfire emergency plan.
- For your survival, leaving early is the only option.
- Leave bush fire prone areas the night before or early in the day – do not just wait and see what happens.
- Make a decision about when you will leave, where you will go, how you will get there and when you will return.
- Homes are not designed to withstand fires in catastrophic conditions so you should leave early.
- People with special needs, such as the elderly and people with a disability, should always leave before the threat of bush fire.
- If it is unsafe to leave the area or stay and defend your property, and the path is clear, you should move to your pre-identified Neighbourhood Safer Place, or other safer location, prior to the impact of a bush fire.
Neighbourhood Safer Places in Ku-ring-gai
Please note that neighbourhood safe places are places of last resort during a bushfire emergency and are to be used only when all other options in your bushfire survival plan can’t be put into action safely.
- Burt Oldfield Oval, Killara
- Regimental Park, Killara
- Kent Oval, North Turramurra
- North Turramurra Recreation Area (Golf Course), North Turramurra
- Sandakan Park, North Turramurra
- Robert Pymble Park, Pymble
- Roseville Park, Roseville
- St Ives Village Green, St Ives
- Turramurra Memorial Park, Turramurra
- Claude Cameron Grove, Wahroonga
For further information on the bushfire emergency visit NSW RFS or download the Fires Near Me app.