All complaints received by Council will be received and acted upon quickly and appropriately.

Complaints are an expression of dissatisfaction made to or about us, our services, staff or the handling of a complaint where a response or resolution is explicitly or implicitly expected or legally required. 

Complaints include expressions of dissatisfaction with the quality of, or delays in, providing a service, taking an action or making a decision, outside of Council’s service levels.

A complaint covered by Council’s Complaints Management Policy can be distinguished from:

  • staff grievances;
  • public interest disclosures made by our staff;
  • code of conduct complaints;
  • feedback about the standard of our service provision;
  • reports of problems or wrongdoing merely intended to bring a problem to our notice with no expectation of a response;
  • an expression of disagreement with Council policy or a lawfully made decision;
  • service requests; and 
  • requests for information.

Complaints that allege conduct that, if proven, would represent a serious breach of Council’s Code of Conduct are classified as Code of Conduct Complaints. These complaints may involve matters regarding Council's service provision, waste of resources, theft, fraud, corruption, maladministration, harassment or bullying.

Council’s Complaints Management Policy explains in detail Council’s complaints management process.

View Council's Complaints Management Policy (pdf. 321KB)

Making a complaint

If you wish to make a complaint, you may lodge it in writing, over the phone, or in person.

In writing

Addressed to: The General Manager

Post to: Ku-ring-gai Council, Locked Bag 1006, Gordon, NSW 2072 


By phone

Phone (02) 9424 0000, between 8.30am and 5pm weekdays.

In person

Visit Council at 818 Pacific Highway, Gordon NSW 2072, between 8.30am and 5pm weekdays.

Include these details in your complaint

Council does accept anonymous complaints and will carry out an investigation of the issues raised where there is enough information provided.

Your complaint should include your name, address and telephone number, as well as a detailed description of your complaint. You may, however, opt for your name and personal details to remain confidential.

Additional information 

If you are not satisfied with the action taken as a result of your complaint, or your complaint is extremely serious, you can refer your complaint to the: